Unit 2 Library


Beginning in elementary school, students were introduced to the library.  My first memory in a library came from when I was in second grade and we first learned the dewey decimal system in our school.  At such a young age, the library was a huge source of information.  Knowing how to navigate the library and to be able to utilize that information was huge, especially before the age of smartphones began to boom.  My mother used to take me to the city library after school to do my homework and I would be rewarded by playing on the computers or checking out an interesting book.  When I was growing up, my friends were getting phones in sixth grade but I did not get one until a year or two later.  I feel like once we had all the information in the world at the tip of our fingers, we began to shy away from using the library unless it was mandatory for a project.  Even if I needed information from a library, I could use their databases from the comfort of my house and no longer needed to go to the brick-and-mortar library like I used to.  I can almost guarantee that ninety percent of millennials would rather use technology than read through books in a library to find certain information.  Some believe this is a new convenience.  Although, I think the majority of students my age and younger are missing out on a valuable resource and learning experience.  It seemed convenient in high school; although, in college there were many instance where the internet couldn't help me and I wished I knew how to navigate the massive libraries on campus.  With help from librarians, I was still able to successfully find and check out a book.

Comments